Saturday, March 21, 2020

Another Day of Social Distancing

Steven and I are doing our best to try to practice "social distancing" during the Covid-19 outbreak. I last saw there are now 43 confirmed cases in Idaho state--which really means there are at least double of those that were not tested or not showing symptoms in our area now too. We really want to be part of the solution to the problem at hand so we are doing our best to just stay home. And if we do need to run to the store for something, we try to make it quick and keep our distance from others around in the store and use hand sanitizer and wash our hands immediately upon returning home.

We did however, go over to a neighbor's today to help them move some large furniture to their storage unit. We aren't in such a lock down yet that we can't go help those in need (thankfully). I hope that by a majority of people doing their best to electively quarantine themselves that we will never have to get to that point as other countries have had to do so.

Steven and I aren't really afraid to get the virus--but we don't want to be the reason that someone who would not be able to fight it off as easily (someone who is already ill or immunocompromised) gets it and becomes terrifyingly ill. I already feel bad when I share my cold with Steven--I would be a mess if I knew I caused such devastating illness on someone else.

We keep busy around the house though. Today we cleaned out Steven's office (which DESPERATELY needed to be cleaned). I have been trying to make time to get in there and sort through all the papers and stuff and put things were they belong. It always became such a low priority with life and everything that it just never got done. Well, enter being stuck at home for extended periods of time and everything extra other than work being cancelled. Hooray for extra time and energy to tackle some home projects! I have some alterations I need to do for a few people that I will work on in the coming few days as well. Always something to do around here!

The best thing about being home so much more is that I get to spend so much more time with my dogs and husband. Obi and Scooter have really enjoyed having us home and getting to go on little walks in the afternoons if the weather is nice. I think they are so used to being pent up in this house anyways so having the extra company has been wonderful for them. They help bring some joy and happiness into our lives as well. It's nice to have these two pups come lay by me while I read or sit in the kitchen with me while I make our meals.

Steven will be officially on spring break in the coming week so he won't be working as much at all like he was last week. He's really looking forward to a little break--especially since last week was so crazy jumping right into full-time virtual school. His school has decided to extend their virtual schooling for another week after spring break as well. It potentially could extend further than that if conditions persist as they are now. I honestly don't see them returning anytime soon, but we will see.

My company has even tested out working remotely and thanks to that being a success last week, the owners have invited any who feel more safe or comfortable working from home during this time to go ahead and do so. Just knowing that I am allowed to come and go from the office and work here at home as much as I want is a huge blessing. I know I can go in if there is something specific there I need to do, but as long as I will just be sitting at my computer, I'd rather just be home in my comfortable clothes doing that. I plan on playing my work week a day at a time and probably juggling back and forth from here and the office as needed. I'm hoping that this pattern of work will continue even after the virus has passed. It's been really good for morale so far from what I can tell too, so we will see if that continues.

We will be doing home church again tomorrow. I've really looked forward to our humble Sunday "services" here in our home. It's been a huge blessing that Steven is still able to bless the sacrament for us each week. I have felt the spirit more during the sacrament in the short time we do it here than I have much else throughout my life. Something about being able to do it together, in our own home, to feel the Spirit here with us is just amazing. I have struggled with buying a whole loaf of bread just for 2 of us to break 1 slice together for sacrament though (as we typically don't each much bread in our regular diet). So I picked up some frozen bread dough balls and each Saturday evening I will put one on a piece of parchment and cover it in the fridge to defrost and then I'll pull it out first thing in the morning to rise. I can then just bake it quickly in the air fryer and ta-da! Fresh bread for the sacrament without all the extra that might potentially go to waste!

Being home though, has posed a challenge in how I minister to my Young Women since we will not be meeting on our assigned Sunday or during the week for activities. I am going to make a small Facebook post tomorrow sharing some thoughts from what would have been our lesson this week. Last week my presidency and I delivered letters and a small gift to each of the girls too, to make sure they knew we loved them and to encourage them to continue to work on their goals. I'm sure the girls will be excited when we return to having our regularly scheduled meetings/activities again.

General Conference had to change again due to the virus too. Originally they just shut it down to the public, but now the Choir will not be in attendance (all the music will be pre-recorded) and the only people that will be in the room for the broadcast will be the First Presidency and whomever is speaking/praying at that session. It will be so different and so strange. But I can't think of a time when we need guidance from our church leaders more than we need them now. President Nelson released a comforting video about a week ago regarding the effects of the virus right now and offering hope during this uncertain time. I imagine that General Conference will offer a similar feeling of hope and that we can be guided to do the things that we need to right now.

So for now, we will continue our social distancing and try to keep ourselves occupied (and hopefully as productive as we can). It certainly has been nice to slow down and take all the extra out of our lives and really focus on what's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment